Sunday, February 25, 2018

Small Town School Life

When you go to a big city, typically there are multiple elementary, middle, and high schools throughout the area. Graduating classes are ridiculously big and you typically don't even know half the people you graduate with. That is definitely not the case in a small town. My elementary-high school was all in ONE building. As I said before, I graduated with 48 people, so my average high school size was a little over 200 students total. Though there are always pros and cons to everything in life, I can honestly say the good out-weighs the bad when it comes to small schools. 

One of the most annoying things about being from a small high school was gossip spread like wild fire and it sticks around for so long. Even the teachers would know what was up and call us out on it individually. Everyone you know then knows what you did or what you said, and it's just super irritating honestly. You see the same faces every single day in the hallways and we all each lunch at the same time. Athletically speaking, it was a disadvantage to be from a small school because your talent options are limited, compared to a big school where you may have to try out and really want to be apart of the team.

My favorite part about being from a small town was the ability to be involved in everything and anything. I was apart of almost every club offered, and even president of some. Teachers feel more like family than just teachers, honestly. They genuinely care about your well-being inside and outside of the classroom. They do their best to provide knowledge and opportunity that will benefit you later in life, instead of just on a test. I had numerous heart-to-heart conversations with my teachers, and they still check up with me through social media to this day. Another really cool opportunity provided by a one-building school district is the opportunity to mentor the youth in the community. My senior year I spent more time in the elementary volunteering in classes, then in actual classrooms learning through a textbook. So many big opportunities were provided to me through my small school that I probably never would've got elsewhere. For example, because my class was so small, our senior trip was to Disney World for 4 days. I also was selected to go on a 10-day trip to see  historical sights on the east coast, including Colonial Williamsburg, all of  Washington D.C., and some spots in Maine. Those kinds of trips are a lot harder to arrange when you have 200+ people per class.

Even though I never knew what it was like to go to a big school, from what I've been told, it's so different. All I know is I loved high school and the meaningful relationships and memories I was able to make during that time in my life. 

1 comment:

  1. I also went to a smaller high school, and I have to agree that the relationships you make at small schools are amazing!

    ReplyDelete